How does God bring good out of suffering?
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)
As the Puritan Thomas Watson wrote in his small book All Things for Good, written in 1663, God works all things for good for the godly.
Afflictions work for good:
- because they are always under God's control;
- because they teach us the truth of God's word;
- because they help us to know ourselves better;
- because they help us be more wholeheartedly devoted to God;
- because they help us know Christ better;
- because they loosen our hearts from the world;
- by reminding us that we're God's children;
- by revealing the gospel to a watching world;
- because God uses them to make us happy;
- by rebuking the church's enemies;
- by preparing us for glory.