Your story of how you became a Christian and why is the most powerful tool you have to share your faith. It is powerful because it is the story of how God has worked in your life. It is also powerful because it is impossible to argue against someone’s personal experience. It is crucial to think about your story of how you became a Christian and think about how you can share it with someone. Here’s a few thoughts to help you. Why not, spend some time writing out your story and then practise sharing with another friend to give you feedback.
A testimony is an honest and accurate account of God working in your life to bring you to Jesus. Everybody who has become a Christian has a unique, interesting and powerful testimony.
Things to keep in mind.
- It is personal, not preachy. You are opening your heart to reveal how God has dealt with you. Be wary of making generalisations from your specific circumstances.
- It is short. About 3 to 4 minutes should be enough to cover the facts. Approximately 750-1000 spoken words.
- It keeps Jesus central. It is Jesus who has done the work in our lives so he deserves the attention.
- It uses the Bible. Bible verses that show how God has worked in your life give a sharper explanation to your story.
Preparing a Testimony
- What was my life like before I received Jesus?
– Give one or two incidents that give genuine insight into your values, the direction of your life, thoughts about God and the lifestyle you lived.
– Be careful not to glory in your past sins.
- When did you first become aware of God working in your life?
– What did he do?
– Detail the way God worked I your life until the time you become a Christian.
- How did you come to understand the gospel?
– Share what Jesus did for you at the cross?
– Share the significance of His rising.
- How did I receive Jesus?
– Explain how you realised your position and need.
– Explain how God opened your heart and life to Him.
– Include a verse that explains what happened
- What changed after you received Jesus?
– Attitudes and desires and values
– Actions and habits
- What are my goals and ambitions now?
– Share how God is leading you
– Share what key things you have learned in following Him
– Share what the direction of your life is now and what you want it to be