"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)
As the Puritan Thomas Watson wrote in his small book All Things for Good, written in 1663, God works all things for good for the godly.
Afflictions work for good:
- because they are always under God's control;
- because they teach us the truth of God's word;
- because they help us to know ourselves better;
- because they help us be more wholeheartedly devoted to God;
- because they help us know Christ more better;
- because they loosen our hearts from the world;
- by reminding us that we're God's children;
- by revealing the gospel to a watching world;
- because God uses them to make us happy;
- by rebuking the church's enemies;
- by preparing us for glory.